The Department of Physics was established in 1964 with an aim to facilitate quality teaching and learning, provide proper exposure to theories and experiments in the discipline of Physics and motivate the students to higher learning and research. The Department currently offers one UG course and one PG course. The UG course was started in 1979 and the PG course was started in 1999 with electronics as elective paper. Presently, the department has 7 well experienced and committed permanent faculties. Following are a few highlights of the department:
- Competent faculty members with good academic career and research experience.
- Self sufficient UG, PG and Computer laboratories.
- ISRO’s Space Science Technology AwaReness Training ( START) – Nodal Center.
- Virtual Amrita Laboratories Universalizing Education (VALUE) – AMRITA Virtual Lab- Nodal Centre.
- We have collaboration with KUFOS, Merit Labs, CIFT institutes for projects/internships/training programs
- Department library having 100 above books
- Department offers certificate courses on LED making and Photography.
- The Energy Conservation Club – Student Chapter functioning under the department aims to promote interest towards energy conservation among students, faculty members and the community near the college through various awareness programs, workshops and hands-on training.
- The Electronics Club functioning under the department inculcates scientific & entrepreneurial skills among the students through theoretical and experimental sessions on basic electronics.
- Department celebrates various prominent International/National days by conducting programmes such as seminars, workshops.etc under the aegis of Physics association.
- Kattiparambil Vidyasagar Endowment Award (for final year B.Sc Physics students) -Instituted by Dr. K.V Sanil Kumar (Scientist G, National Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL), Kochi) in remembrance of Sri. K R Vidyasagar, Kattiparambil house, Maliankara
- To become a well recognized centre of excellence in education and research in Physics.
- To become a hub of knowledge creation that focuses on frontier areas of Physics and related interdisciplinary fields.
- To impart quality education to the students both in theoretical as well as experimental physics with special emphasis on ‘learning by doing’ and promote them to professional courses.
- To equip students with the skills to visualize, synthesize and execute projects in science.
- To imbibe the spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation in students.
- To nurture the innovative capabilities of students by providing them with a research platform and exposure to current technologies.
- To undertake sponsored research and provide consultancy services in industrial, educational and socially relevant areas.
- To provide individual attention and enable character building.